Dr. Nancy Church and Mr. Charles Jett are hosting an important salon discussion with Laurel Bellows about Human Trafficking – Sex Trafficking and Forced Labor Trafficking.
Laurel G. Bellows is the Founder and Managing Principal of The Bellows Law Group, P.C. in Chicago. She is a staunch advocate and frequent speaker about the prevention of human labor and sex trafficking. She served as president of the American Bar Association from August 2012 to August 2013, as head of the Chicago Bar Association, and previously chaired the ABA’s Commission on Women in the Profession.
- Sex Trafficking is the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining a person of either gender or sexual preference for the purposes of a commercial sex act induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or where the victim has not reached 18 years of age. The numbers are staggering: In metropolitan Chicago alone, 16,000 to 25,000 women and girls are involved in commercial sex trade annually, with most of them getting involved in prostitution by the age of 15 years.
- Labor trafficking is a form of modern-day slavery in which individuals perform labor or services through force, fraud, or coercion. This practice includes situations of debt bondage, forced labor, and involuntary child labor and involve violence, threats, lies, and other forms of coercion to force people to work against their will in a wide variety of industries. Common types of labor trafficking include people forced to work in homes as domestic servants, farmworkers coerced through violence as they harvest crops, or factory workers held in inhumane conditions or “sweat shops” with little to no pay.
Ms. Bellows will discuss and provide statistics about such issues as:
- How does one get trapped into slavery?
- How, if at all, does one escape?
- What are some practical solutions that local police forces can implement?
- What are some practical solutions that may be applied on a global basis?
Find out what is being done about this growing problem and what you can do to help.
The event will be held at 7:00PM on Saturday, May 11, 2019, at 180 East Pearson Street, Unit 3301. This event is by invitation only. If you would like to receive an invitation, please CLICK HERE or go to the Contact Form on the menu.
Dr. Nancy Church & Charles Jett